Holistic automation on the shop floor
In view of the increasing demand for productivity, flexibility, quality and efficiency as well as the ongoing shortage of skilled workers, automation is becoming a must in the manufacturing industry.
The benefits of automation within the Machining Transformation (MX) framework are manifold. Firstly, the use of robots to load and unload workpieces enables longer run times and higher machine utilization. By automating these repetitive tasks, companies can significantly increase their productivity and reduce downtime.
Secondly, DMG MORI wants to equip its customers with flexibly automated production cells and systems. In addition to the fundamental advantage of possible 24/7 production, the LPS 4 cell controller technology enables companies to control their production processes even better, analyze them transparently and thus continuously optimize them. Added to this are greater adaptability, shorter lead times and improved overall operational efficiency.
Thirdly, DMG MORI is striving to revolutionize internal logistics through the comprehensive use of driverless transport systems (AMRs). These AMRs enable the automated transportation of raw materials, workpieces, pallets, precision tools and operating resources within the production plant.
This not only streamlines work processes, but also reduces the need for manual handling and minimizes the risk of errors. Even the vision of the lights-out factory is within reach with the innovative automation solutions from DMG MORI.
The features of automation and the resulting customer benefits are even more diverse than the individual stages:
- Increased productivity: Automation enables longer running times and continuous production, reducing idle times and maximizing machine utilization. This leads to improved productivity and higher output.
- Increased efficiency: By automating repetitive tasks, companies can eliminate bottlenecks, minimize human error and optimize production processes. This leads to greater efficiency and less waste.
- Improved quality: Automation ensures consistent and accurate execution of tasks, resulting in higher product quality. With automated systems, companies can achieve tighter tolerances and reduce variations in production.
- Cost reduction: Automation helps reduce labor costs by minimizing the need for manual intervention. Automation also enables companies to optimize their resources, reduce material waste and lower energy consumption.
- Flexibility and adaptability: The automation capabilities of the MX framework provide companies with the flexibility to adapt to changing production requirements. Automation enables rapid reconfiguration and reprogramming, allowing efficient production of different product variants.
- Safety and ergonomics: Automation reduces reliance on manual labor for repetitive and physically demanding tasks, resulting in a safer working environment for employees. It also helps to minimize the risk of workplace injuries and improve ergonomics.
- Scalability: The MX framework's automation solutions are scalable, allowing companies to start with smaller automated cells and gradually expand their automation capacity as needed. This scalability allows companies to align their automation investments with their growth strategies.
- Reduced labor requirements: Automation within MX significantly reduces the need for manual labor in and between processing machines and systems. This is particularly valuable in addressing the challenges posed by labor shortages, potential skills shortages and demographic change. The higher degree of autonomy and the high level of continuity in the manufacturing processes also rationalizes the entire CNC manufacturing process. Automation also minimizes the risk of errors caused by human factors such as fatigue or fluctuations in performance.
In view of the increasing demand for efficiency, productivity and quality in the manufacturing industry as well as the challenges of the shortage of skilled workers and demographic change, automation has become a strategic necessity. DMG MORI has recognized this and has anchored automation as one of the four pillars in its MX Framework. In combination with the comprehensive portfolio of modular end-to-end automation solutions, this opens up the path to a new era of CNC manufacturing for users.
Contact us for all issues related to the DMG MORI technical press.